CANOSIA TOWNSHIP

 

Introduction / Town Board Directory /Contact Us

Cemetery/ Fire Department / Historical Society /Planning & Zoning / Policies / Recycling

 

INTRODUCTION
Maps of Canosia Township


Canosia Township received its name from the local Ojibwa peoples. The word "Kanoje" or "Canosia" means "pike" its translation into English can be seen in the name of Pike Lake. Settlement in Canosia Township began soon after the first government surveys in 1856. The first platted towns in Canosia Township were called Valley Field and Canosia. These towns soon died out due to the financial panic of 1857. Settlement began again in earnest in 1862 with the Homestead Act. During the next two decades Canosia was settled by railroad workers and lumbermen.

 In 1870, the Township of Rice Lake was formed and included within its boundaries were the present day townships of Canosia, Fredenberg and Grand Lake. In 1887 Canosia Township splintered off from Rice Lake Township and became an independent township. During this time land speculators attracted many new residents by promoting its free land, bountiful supply of lumber and sawmill. Road improvements to roads such as Swan Lake Road also helped to bring more people into the area. The majority of Canosia’s early settlers were ethnic Germans or Scandinavians. There was also a smaller number of ethnic Poles, Irish, English and Scots.

Logging and farming were the two main industries in Canosia in its early years as these industries grew so did the population of Canosia. However, in 1918 Canosia was struck by a great forest fire which stretched from Moose Lake to the Duluth area townships. The fire claimed a number of settlers’ lives and drove many more settlers from their homes.

In 1907 a hydroelectric dam was built on the north side of Wild Rice Lake doubling its size. The 1950's saw a large degree of growth in the population of Canosia Township. Greater mobility created by the automobile brought young families into Canosia. They came seeking the benefits of living in a rural community. The population remained fairly stable during the 1960's. The Township has experienced fairly rapid growth during the 1970s through the 1990s in population, housing and commercial enterprises. Today, Canosia Township has become part of the Duluth-Superior Metropolitan area, but has still maintained much of its rural/suburban atmosphere.

The following dates reflect events and milestones which shaped Canosia Township and the Pike Lake area.   

1856-57

  Canosia Township is surveyed.

1860's

  Railroad companies receive land grants while timber companies and
speculators start recording transaction.

1870

  First Town meeting.

1870's

  Miller Trunk Highway surveyed.

1880-1900

  Many new settlers arrive.

1918

  Forest fire from Moose Lake to the suburbs of Duluth

1922

  54 miles of Miller Trunk Highway paved.

1920's

  Pike Lake Auto Club established.

1925

  Frank LaJoy started holding dances in his portable tent. By the 1930's
his "Rollerdome" was in operation up until the mid-1970's.

1947

  First meeting of Pike Lake Community Club.

1948

  Club requests County Health Engineer to address the proper septic
tank system at meeting.

1953

  Dam was built at outlet to stabilize water levels at the request of the
Club.

1953

  Pike Lake shore owners contract for DDT spraying for insect control
of approximately 350 acres of frontage. About the same time the DNR
treated the lake with copper sulphate to kill snails responsible for skin
rashes. The lake was later treated to control weeds.

1955

  Lakeshore zoning by Township defeated.

1962

  Town Board creates a committee to study possibility of City water at Pike Lake.

1964

  Township zoning begins.

1964

  Committee requests and receives $1,000 for engineering study on a
local sanitary district.

1967

  Canosia and Grand Lake Town Boards petition State of Minnesota for
the formation of a sanitary district.

1968

  MPCA issues report estimating costs for sewer system to be in excess
of $1.5 million.

1971

  Western Lake Superior Sanitary District formed and included Canosia
Township in future waste disposal plans.

1990

  Pike Lake Association formed.

1998

 

Pike Lake Area Wastewater Collection System (PLAWCS)
joint powers between Grand Lake Township.  Canosia Township formed.

     Back to the Top