Return to: Historical Page Home
“The long harangues of the grass in the wind are our
histories. We tell our freedom backward by the land.
We tell our past by the gravestones and the apple
trees.” -- by Archibald MacLeish, from his 1938
book, Land of the Free.
The people who built this community gave historians,
families, and all of us many stories from the Old
Days. They had difficult lives: no electricity or
running water and long winter battles against
snowdrifts. Then there was the tragic 1918 Forest
Fire and family stories of those terrible days that
could still bring tears. Talk about the earliest schools
brought out mention of a favorite teacher, or the roads
they walked to school – sometimes waiting for a
logging train to pass.
School meant old friends and a
welcome relief from the isolation and chores of farm
life - cold walks in the early morning to the outhouse,
cleaning the kerosene lamp glass chimney with
crushed up newspapers, keeping out of the way of the
fly strip hanging from the ceiling near the screen door,
refilling the wood box near the iron cook stove, and
warming themselves and dressing in front of the
parlor stove with the isinglass window on the door.
Now, in the year 2007, it has been 119 years since this
township was formed. Descendents of the early
settlers still have stories to tell and they are all worth
telling to the next generation. Would you like to tell
yours in our newsletter? If so, please contact the
Canosia Historical Society by calling Millicent
O’Connell or leave a message at 729-8126.
Canosia Township Historical Society